Sunday, April 12, 2015

Most Inspiring Lunch

Last October I announced on my blog that I had won the Founders Day Instagram Challenge at Yale with my photograph of Timothy Dwight College as viewed from my office. The prize for this particular competition was to be lunch with Yale University's President Peter Salovey for me and a guest.

From left: Nick, President Salovey, and me. I thought it would be fitting to also post this photo on Instagram, #InspiringYale.
On March 24th, my friend Nick and I claimed my prize at a really enjoyable hour-and-a-half long lunch with President Salovey at Mory's on York Street. President Salovey was a gracious host and a great conversationalist. His reputation as a kind and personable individual preceded him and I found it to be accurate.

President Salovey made friendly recommendations concerning certain dishes and told us a bit about the history of Mory's and "The President's Bread Pudding" (which, incidentally, he enjoys...but because it is named in his honor he feels slightly guilty when he orders something else for dessert). Our conversation, which was easy-going and never forced, included topics from architecture on campus to bluegrass music and many things in between. I was pleased that we never "talked shop" about working at Yale.

Overall we had a really enjoyable afternoon with President Salovey. It's opportunities like this that make me proud the be a member of the Yale community.

No comments: